The following are the resources considered in this guide:
- A general guide to researching your family tree is available from the National Library of Ireland. http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/famil1.pdf
- The Irish Times’ Ancestors page. This is a subscription site.
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild lists half a million passengers who arrived in the United States since the 1600s to 1929. http://immigrantships.net/index2.html
- Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages: there are three websites to consider. The list of parish registers held by the National Library of Ireland details what Roman Catholic church records are available at the National Library of Ireland http://www.nli.ie/family_hr.htm#pr. These records pre-date 1880.
- The General Register Office, http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm, holds civil or State registers covering the period 1864 to the present.
- Church of Ireland church registers are described at http://www.ireland.anglican.org/library/libroots.html
- The National Archives of Ireland Transportation Records Database holds records relating to convicts transported to Australia between 1788 and 1868 inclusive.
- Famine Irish Passenger Record Data File. This is a database of 604,596 persons who arrived in the United States between December 1846 and December 1851. http://aad.archives.gov/aad/file-unit-description.jsp?file_id=640&coll_id=1002
- Griffith’s Valuation, compiled between 1848 and 1864, lists all occupiers of property living in Ireland at this time. This is a subscription site. http://www.genealogy.com/188facd.html
- Ellis Island Records. This lists all people who came through Ellis Island between the years 1892 and 1924. http://www.ellisisland.org/search/index.asp
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s Debt of Honour List. This is a database of all soldiers in Commonwealth countries who died during the two World Wars. http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx
- Garda Museum/Archives, Record Tower, Dublin Castle. http://www.garda.ie/angarda/museum.html
- Genealogical Office, 2 Kildare Street, Dublin. http://www.nli.ie
- Heraldic Office, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. http://www.nli.ie/fr_offi2.htm
- Land Registry, Setanta Centre, Dublin 2. http://www.irlgov.ie/landreg/
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland. http://www.proni.gov.uk
- Valuation Office, Irish Life Centre, Abbey Street Lower, Dublin 1. http://www.valoff.ie